Newly Approved Masters Degree
The Centre of Excellence in Geosciences, (CoE), University of Benin is a collaborative effort between the University and the Shell Petroleum Development Company (SPDC) of Nigeria Limited, operator of the NNPC, Total & Agip Joint Venture.
The Programmes and Distinctiveness
The Centre offers two Master of Science degrees in:
- Integrated Petroleum Exploration and Evaluation Studies (Geology or Geophysics Option) and
- Integrated Petroleum Engineering and Production Studies.
The programmes are aimed at developing skilled professional graduates in all key areas required in the Oil and Gas sector (exploration, appraisal, development, production and value creation), including Geosciences and Petroleum Engineering. At the point of graduation they would have acquired the requisite skills to make them function effectively in the oil and gas industry as professionals. The training programmes offered at the Centre ensure that the graduates are well equipped with knowledge of up-to-date concepts and skills, current technologies and methods, and have the ability to adapt to new demands in a dynamic technologically driven world of the oil and gas industry.
In addition, the programmes offer leadership training to make the graduates functional and productive in the multi-dimensional work place environment. Significant emphasis will be placed on multidisciplinary approach necessary for solving subsurface problems in Geosciences and Petroleum Engineering. The programmes will be executed with strong links to industry both in the content and delivery framework.
The programmes are intended for highly motivated graduates wishing to pursue professional careers in Geosciences and Petroleum Engineering, including practicing professionals currently employed in the Exploration and Production industry as well as Geoscience Agencies and Consulting firms or organizations.
The programmes will be offered on full-time basis for a full period of 18 calendar months which includes a mandatory six months internship in an E&P Company or other Geoscience organisations and Agencies geared towards executing a practical research project.
Applications are invited from interested candidates as well as staff of corporate organizations and relevant agencies.
Intended applicants must possess either of the following:
- First degree from recognized universities in Geology, Geophysics or Petroleum Engineering, with a minimum GPA of 4.0
- First degree in any other relevant fields in Physical Sciences or Engineering with a minimum GPA of 4.0
- Young Professionals of E&P companies, Geosciences Agencies and Organizations and Consulting Companies with the appropriate degree.
Method of Application
Candidates may apply by purchasing relevant application forms from:
University of Benin
Interested candidates will be required to submit the following along with their applications:
- Photocopies of the degrees (academic transcripts to be requested from awarding institutions and sent to the Postgraduate School)
- Letters of recommendation from at three referees, one of who must be an academic staff of the department from the graduating institution
Corporate bodies and agencies that wish to nominate their staff can do so by endorsing completed application forms as sponsors and requesters.
All candidates must provide a brief description in not more than one page of their work experience and current task(s) and how the training will add value to them.
Applications should be returned by 15th August, 2012 to:
Post Graduate School
University of Benin
Short-listed candidates will be notified and invited for interview towards final selection into the programme.