School of Basic Medical Science
I wish to welcome you all to the youngest School/Faculty in University of Benin - SCHOOL OF BASIC MEDICAL SCIENCES. It was established in December 2003 from the College of Medical Sciences and finally took off in January 2004. The school will undertake undergrauate programmes for B.Sc. degree in the disciplines listed below. In addition the school provides services for other schools within the college-Schools of Medicine and Dentistry as well as other Faculties in the University: Sciences and School of Pharmacy. There are currently five Departments in the school. These are:
- Department of Anatomy,
- Department of Medical Biochemistry
- Department of Medical Laboratory Sciences
- Department of Physiology
- Department of Nursing
Everyone in the Schhol will ensure that your dreams and aspirations to acquire sounde academic training are achieved.
- To organize and offer courses of instruction leading to the award of degree, diplomas, certificates and other University qualifications in Basic Medical Sciences and such related studies as may be prescribed by the senate.
- To develop manpower in the Basic Medical Sciences for the future growth and expansion of research and education in health-related disciplines.
- To create a conducive, healthy academic and professional environment that would allow for the development and growth of its component parts and that of the college of Medical Sciences
- To provide equal opportunity for all staff in accordance with the tenets of academic freedom.
- To promote research efforts of staff and students by arranging, organizing and co-ordinating research activities through conferences, seminars workshops, etc