People are the most important and valuable resource of any nation. They constitute the primary producers of national wealth and development. Gender is about people, men and women, boys and girls. The term gender is used to analyse the roles, responsibilities, constraints, opportunities and needs of women and men in all areas and in any given social context. It influences all aspects of our lives, the schooling we receive, the social roles we play, and the power and authority we command. Population processes — where women and men live, how they bear and rear children, and how they die — are shaped by gender as well.
The goal of the centre for gender studies is to contribute to the shared vision of the university, which is “a model institution of higher learning which ranks among the best in the world and is responsive to the creative and innovative abilities of the Nigerian people.”
The Centre for Gender Studies is a centre of excellence in academic and intervention activities that will contribute significantly to gender equality and equity in the university, the community and the country.
Objectives Of The Centre
- Promoting a gender sensitive university community
- Fostering gender equality and equity in all spheres of the society.
- Encouraging excellence in multi-disciplinary research and teaching of gender differentiation in all fields.
- Enabling women to cope with the duality of intellectual and family responsibilities.
- Reorienting men and women in relation to women education and employment, gender roles and equity in children’s upbringing.